Monday 7 February 2011

Where I am just now.

I have been getting increasingly interested in portraiture which asks questions about public perception. Something which I think is really relevent to my research for my new piece is the charity Changing Faces, which supports those with facial disfigurements and helps them with confidence issues which they face because of the pressure the public puts on people to be "beautiful" what is beautiful anyway?! Really want to get involves with this organisation further, take a look: http://www.changingfaces.org.uk/ , pretty inspiring stuff I think! Contacted them to get a bit more info to deepen my understanding of how different people cope with the social pressures of being different.

On the other hand, something quite different...

Been having a wee look at ORLAN, who was made famous for her use of plastic surgery as a means of artistic medium. Thats some pretty frightening stuff!!! Taking parts from female portraits or sculptures, created my male artists and making her face look like them. For me, this is way too extreme and although it obviously makes a seriously bold statement, its unnecessary and down right stupid. I admire her vision and passion though, you got to have drive to change your face permenantly in the name of Art.

Also, in other news, bought a new camera Nikon D3100, yay!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment